Sunday, October 30, 2016

My "Slow your Roll" Role Model

Coming into college, I was really excited about this new life that I could begin. My first semester here at the University of South Alabama has been full of many great memories in my life. I don't think any of this could have been possible without a conversation I shared with my Latin professor one day after class. (Quick backstory: I am also in public speaking this semester and I was assigned to give a speech on someone I admired. At the time, the first person that popped into my head was my Latin professor because he was fluent in French, German, Latin, Hebrew, and Greek; and I really didn't want to create a works cited page, so interviewing the actual person first-hand was the best course of action to take.) One day after class I interviewed him, and he spoke wisdom into, not only my speech, but my life as well. He told me (in more words than this) to "slow my roll"; meaning I should slow down, stop thinking I was such a big shot, and take time to appreciate what I have around me. In college, it is very easy to overbook your plate and stay busy 24/7. This isn't bad, a good work ethic will take you far. However, the point at which you quit noticing the faces passing you on the sidewalk, is the point at which you lose yourself. Be studious. Have patience. Share love. This is how my professor has helped influence my life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment